Community & Faith-Based Organizations
Building sustainable communities, and finding pathways to belonging.
Welcome, community and faith leaders, librarians, and civic group members. We are grateful for the difference you are making and the interest that has brought you to this page!
World Outside My Shoes believes deeply that sustainable growth must be deeply rooted in community organizations like yours. We want to partner with you and your initiatives in creating an environment where compassionate curiosity leads to stronger human connection. We design events with your community’s needs in mind. It can look like:
- Lunchtime or evening presentations for civic groups, libraries and faith groups.
- Worship service presentations, leadership team conversations, and youth group events.
- Keynote presentation at appreciation events for your organization’s members and supporters.
- Screening of the documentary “I’m Not Leaving” followed by live or virtual Q&A with Carl Wilkens
- And more!
All of our available presentations and learning opportunities seek to achieve the following:
- Explore methods and tools for effective introspection so as to meet differences with curiosity.
- Challenge our own identity and examine assumptions we make within the stories we tell and are told.
- Build our capacity to navigate the complexities of interpersonal conflict through case studies, testimonies, and stories that illustrate World Outside My Shoe’s values, and the innovation of those who have done so successfully, our Rwandan partners and friends.
- Examine the dynamics and relationships of our social landscape through the lens of social, emotional, and neurological intelligence.
A sampling of our content: A Hope-Based Process for Addressing Division
Let's work together!
World Outside My Shoes works in faith community settings, work retreats, conferences, and more. Each interactive engagement is tailored to your context.
Interactive Assemblies & Community visits
No matter where you are in the, world our 30- to 90-minute presentations are available both in-person or online.
Through a series of stories, we cover moments from the 1994 Genocide Against the Tutsis in Rwanda all the way through to the nation’s reconstruction and dynamics today.
Workshops are story-based learning experiences brimming with dynamic conversations!
Participants will explore the decision points, choices, and key relationships involved in navigating times of tremendous risk both during the genocide as well as the physical and psychological demands of the years that followed.
Film Screenings With Live Or Virtual Q&A
A favorite addition to any World Outside My Shoes visit is the screening of the documentary I’m not leaving, followed by an in-person or virtual Q&A session with Carl Wilkens.
Using interviews, archival footage, and animations, the 40-minute film I’m Not Leaving serves as an excellent resource to help your audience prepare for a visit from Carl Wilkens or as a supplement to lessons about the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.
Rwanda Educational Immersive Experience
“How can people live together peacefully when betrayal, murder, and genocide is such a recent part of their history?” That’s the question we address as we traverse the scenic hills of Rwanda for 10 days visiting memorials and school campuses, farms and factories, speaking with survivors, perpetrators and government officials, all working together to build a new Rwanda.
What can we accomplish today?
Take the 21-day gratitude challenge. Each day, write down 3 new things you are grateful for. Do it with a friend by texting/emailing your new list of 3 each day. Or be like the astronauts and do it while brushing your teeth. 🙂
Subscribe to Newsletter
Subscribe to stay up to date on resources, opportunities, and where we’ll be next!